Anonymous Q&A on Zoom
Have participants change their name to "Somebody" in Zoom. After, invite them to share an anonymous question in the chat. Read the question you'd like to answer out loud, answer it, and repeat.
- Have all participants change their name to "Somebody" in the Zoom meeting. To do this have them open the 'Participants' tab, find their name on the list, click on it, and then navigate to 'More' and then 'Rename'.
- Let participants know that now when they send a message in the chat it will appear as "Somebody" and that even if they change their name back at the end of the meeting, it will not revert their message.
- Tell participants that they now have a chance to ask you anonymous questions. Provide any parameters or boundaries to the types of questions you would be willing to answer.
- Give participants a moment to think of their question and then another minute to type their question into the chat box. Instruct them not to hit send until you give the go-ahead.
- When everyone is ready, count down 3-2-1 and have participants send their questions all at once. If you want to guarantee anonymity have participants type into the chat "I don't have a question," or share an interesting fact so that everyone shares something when you hit send.
- Read through the questions. Find a question to answer and read the question out loud, answer the question, and then repeat.
Make sure you know how to give clear directions on how participants should change their name.
Having participants send their questions all at once makes sure that no ones avatar appears above the chat button when they are the only one to send a message.
If you're using apps other than Zoom, here are the specific things your software will need to be able to do:
Zoom allows all attendees to rename themselves and keeps whatever name you send a message as for the duration of the workshop.